Monday 5 September 2016

Friendship art journal page

Hello, friends!
I hope you are all doing fine! 
It's time for our new challenge at Anything But Cute mixed media challenge blog and I am hostessing the challenge this month. I have chosen the theme 'Friendship'.

I believe that friendship is one of the most important things in our life and that everyone needs a good friend to count on. We all have at least one really good friend who we love and cherish. So, this challenge theme is dedicated to our lovely friends.

Dogs are man's best friend. They are simply awesome and do all of the little things that put smiles on our faces. They give you love, support, understanding and most of all they are loyal. I decided to create an art journal page about our pet friends and I used an old book as an art journal for my project. 
Here is what I created.



Now, back to the challenge theme description...


Friendship is a relationship of mutual affection between two or more people. We want you to show us a mixed media creation that's inspired by friendship. You can create anything, from tags to art journal pages but make sure it's a mixed media piece. Let's celebrate friendship together!

***

I started to build my background with a coat of white gesso and my Daler Rowney texture paste through the TCW mini damask stencil. 


I applied my Decoart media fluid acrylic paint in Quinacridone magenta covering the whole surface. 


Then I made a wash by mixing my Liquitex Raw umber paint with the Golden Satin liquid glaze and applied it over the top of my painted page. I waited for about a minute and wiped of the glaze with a baby wipe. 


I applied my Decoart Metallic lustre in gold on top of my texture paste to accent the texture and to achieve some vintage look of my page. 


My idea was to create a kind of a display wall in a rustic house so I found some die cut chipboard antique frames in my stash and glued them down onto my page.


For my focal image I used one of the Tim Holtz old photo cards and I created a frame out of those small wooden pieces that usually come with new canvases. I painted the pieces with a Vintage photo distress stain. 
To 'hang' the frame onto my 'wall' I used an Idealogy brad and a piece of twine.
The word 'friends' is a sticker from Tim's Big chat sticker set. To achieve the more finished look of my pages, I used my black gelato onto the edges. 


A close up photo of my texture.


I hope that I have inspired you to create your mixed media piece for our 'Friendship' challenge at Anything But Cute!

The winner will receive the honour of being our Feature Artist for an upcoming challenge!

At Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a lucky mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Challenge runs until October 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with!

***

Thank you so much for visiting my blog and leaving lovely comments! I read and appreciate each and every one of them!

Hugs! Branka xx

Challenges:





23 comments:

  1. Oh Branka, what an amazing page!! The only thing more beautiful than your creativity is the fact that you chose animals to represent the Friendship theme!! Your colours are so rich and warm, adding the touches of metallic to that, just makes the whole page shine! I love the mismatched frames, reminds me of a display wall at an old museum, where you just know everything belonged to royalty at one point! Love the image you used too, so adorable and vintage!! A spectacular project once again my friend, thank you for another one of a kind work of art to oogle over!! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so happy to see that you included the furry animals! My fur babies are my bestest friends and l couldn't agree with you more about mans best friend. Love this entire design and the textures! Your use of the stencil is mesmerizing, especially after putting the added gold and black to highlight the shape. That frame made from the corner pieces of the canvas is brilliant and you added the most interesting detail to it as well (the little hook and nail)! I have to applaud your tiny details B! Fantasmic and amazeballs! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
  3. This beautiful page does indeed remind me of visiting a stately home where the decorations are original - I just love the gorgeous colour you have created and the gold enhances the embossing so beautifully. I also love the idea of friendship being associated with animals, I have not had a dog since I was a child but I remember the closeness I shared with him. The photo you used is one of my favourites of Tim's photo cards and I just love how you used the left overs to make that gorgeous frame. I love this theme and I love what you have created!!

    Whilst I am here, thank you for joining in our Create within a Frame challenge at A Vintage Journey. Hugs, Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, Branka, this is absolutely spectacular!! The texture is amazing!! I love the colors!! The gold brings out the embossing perfectly!! It truly does look like the vintage wallpaper in a stately old house, so the frames are perfect!! I love how you framed the sweet image, too!! How creative to use the left-over pieces!! They're perfect!! This is so gorgeous and I love, love it!! I love the theme you chose for this challenge, too!! Absolutely stunning my friend!! Have a great day!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is amazing, what a work of art.
    Thanks for joining in at Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge.
    Hugs,
    Caryn xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful make and a great challenge theme Branka. Wha a gorgeous project!

    I also wanted to say sorry for the lack of visits lately, but as you may know I have been away from home for two month. But now I am back I look forward to more regular visit again. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. absolutely beautiful pages Branka - this is amazing - your colours and textures are gorgeous. and that picture is soooooo cute xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your vintage page journal, nice work and beautifully illustrated on your blog too. Thank you for sharing with us here today at World Wide Open Design Team Challenge and best of luck with your entry.

    Annette DT Registered Owners/Admin for World Wide Open Design Team Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  9. Branka, I cannot tell you enough how much I love this mix of color! The metallic touch is perfect! And that image just has to be the cutest ever, great great take! Thanks so much for another fabulous theme. Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete
  10. Branka, truth be told, when I first thought of your theme "Friendship", my mind turned to you--you have been the most incredible and faithful blog friend, offering support at every turn! So I want to thank you for that!

    Now, on to this beautiful journal page spread--I'm in LOVE with that awesome background! It truly brings to mind an old plaster wall in a well appointed home in it's time. I am gaga over that mini damask stencil and the gold against the magenta to bring out the texture! Your chipboard frames are quite a find and are perfect on that wall! The detail of the nail and cord to hang your portrait is creative genius, and I couldn't help but giggle when I thought of the words "wall" and "friend" as they relate to Facebook! Tee Hee-a little tongue in cheek reference here or just a sweet coincidence? You are a fantastic and inspiring artist! Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Branka, truth be told, when I first thought of your theme "Friendship", my mind turned to you--you have been the most incredible and faithful blog friend, offering support at every turn! So I want to thank you for that!

    Now, on to this beautiful journal page spread--I'm in LOVE with that awesome background! It truly brings to mind an old plaster wall in a well appointed home in it's time. I am gaga over that mini damask stencil and the gold against the magenta to bring out the texture! Your chipboard frames are quite a find and are perfect on that wall! The detail of the nail and cord to hang your portrait is creative genius, and I couldn't help but giggle when I thought of the words "wall" and "friend" as they relate to Facebook! Tee Hee-a little tongue in cheek reference here or just a sweet coincidence? You are a fantastic and inspiring artist! Big hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the gorgeous rich jewel tones, and that fabulous Baroque texture - it looks like the walls of a faded ornate mansion or palace with the portraits hung for posterity. What fantastic inspiration for a lovely theme.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  13. WOW Branka!!! This is stunning! I love the vintage colors you used for this project! They remind me of 18th century England for some reason...Stunning vintage piece my friend!
    Hugs
    Samra
    Paper Talk with Samra

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow what a fabulous page,thank you for joining in with us at world wide open and good luck

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is such a beautiful page, Branka. Love the rich colors and the vintage feel to this page. Thank you for sharing this with us at Rhedd's Creative Spirit this month. Good Luck, Rupa

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love all the layers you built on your pages Branka! great colors and theme - and wonderful FRAMES! Thanks so much for joining us in the AVJ Create within a frame challenge! Julia xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so love this Branka..I love the little frames and what a good idea of using up those wooden wedges from the canvas's for the larger frame,very clever..and a great tip.
    Thank you for playing and supporting our challenge this month at Rhedd's Creative Spirit...x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fabulous work,vivid colors . Love your take on our challenge. Thanks for playing along with us at MMP.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fabulous! Thank you for participating in the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Fabulous! Thank you for participating in the Mixed Media Place challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wow !!!! Thanks for playing at Mixed Media PLace Challenge ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely page! The colours and texture are beautiful. Thank you for joining us at Altered Eclectics this month, Jane(DT) :) x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous pages. I adore the regal feel, the background looks almost like wallpaper. Love how,you added the frames and your step by steps are fabulous. Love the colours and how,you added the frames. Thanks so much for joining us at A Vintage Journey. Tracy x

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.