Friday 5 June 2015

Anything But Cute challenge #2 - Make It Masculine

Hi, friends! I am here today to announce that our June challenge has started at Anything But Cute Mixed Media Challenge blog!
Our hostess Cec has chosen the theme 'Make It Masculine'.

For this challenge, Cec would like you to make a mixed media card or other project for a fellow in your life. It could be for Father's Day, a birthday, an anniversary or just because you want him to know how special he is. 

Please head over to our Challenge blog to check out fantastic makes of my fabulous teamies and I sure hope you'll join us in our 'Make It Masculine' challenge. Just click on the image below and you'll be there :)

 

I decided to create a stempunk style cardboard hanging plate with cogs, gears and pipes for my son who is one of the three special men in my life - the other two are my Dad and my husband :)



I started with a piece of cardboard, peeled off some parts of the first layer randomly to reveal the structure and cut the hole with my craft knife. Then I glued down all the chipboard embellishments (Tim Holtz cogs and gears die and Weathered clock die) and straws previously connected and formed to make something that looks like pipes :)  Also, I added some mesh ribbon for more texture. I put one coat of black gesso and then applied some antique paste in bronze. Then I used my acetate package from double sided tape, put a few drops of alcohol ink in rust inside and placed it through the hole. The downloaded image (Nicecrane Design) was cut and glued down on the back side of cardboard to bee seen through the hole. I put a small light bulb (treated with alcohol inks) inside the package and attached it with a piece of wire. Another light bulb (also treated with alcohol inks) that I found in my stash I attached to the metal gear with a wire, too. I used several distress paints on my metal gears to achieve the patina effect on them. For the sentiment I put one of Tim's metal plates 
(Idealogy) treated with alcohol ink in rust and Cracked pistachio distress paint.


Here are some closer looks.






In the process of applying my antique paste...



At Anything But Cute we just love to see all the seasoned and expert mixed media artists, but we also want to encourage those who are just getting their feet wet. Our design team will always be on the lookout for these exceptional projects and artists. You just never know when we might be giving out something special to a talented mixed media newcomer. We all have to start somewhere, right?

Challenge runs until July 4th - we can't wait to see what you come up with! 

Happy crafting!

Challenges:













40 comments:

  1. Wow Branka, I am just blown away by this project!! I loved the close up shots, I stuck my face right up to the screen so I could soak in all of the amazing details!! Incredible!! LOVE your recycling of the double sided tape packaging, I am sooooo stealing that idea!! The antiquing paste looks fantastic and your sippy straws make great steampunk pipes!! I can't get enough of this one Branka, a true masculine work of art! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thank you so very much, my dear! I am really thrilled you like this! I wish I could make something as fantastic as yours!
      Hugs xxx

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous wall hanging Branka and so super creative!!! Love those left over straws used to create amazing steamroom scene. What a stempunk marvel this is!!! Love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, my lovely! You made my day, as usual!
      Huge hugs xxx

      Delete
  3. Branka! I'm so excited to get to see the close-ups of your fabulous steampunk wall hanging! Oh, My Goodness! You have just hit this one out of the ballpark 100 times! I love the metallic finishes, the clever use of the straws as pipes, the light bulbs, the colors you used on your embellishments and OHHHHH that 3 dimensional window made from waste packaging. You have really weakened my knees with that genius idea, girl! How special a gift this is for your sweet son! I'm so proud to be your teamie and to call you my friend! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, thank you so very much, my lovely friend! Your comments are always so kind and special! It means very much to me! How proud and thrilled I am to call YOU my friend and to be your teamie! See you on dance floor, my dear!
      Have a great weekend!
      Big hugs xxx

      Delete
  4. Branka! I'm so excited to get to see the close-ups of your fabulous steampunk wall hanging! Oh, My Goodness! You have just hit this one out of the ballpark 100 times! I love the metallic finishes, the clever use of the straws as pipes, the light bulbs, the colors you used on your embellishments and OHHHHH that 3 dimensional window made from waste packaging. You have really weakened my knees with that genius idea, girl! How special a gift this is for your sweet son! I'm so proud to be your teamie and to call you my friend! Big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Loving the close ups and loving the straws are just pure metallic heaven! They look as solid as anything!! Great idea with the corrugated card for the background too, it adds so much interest for a distressed background! Fantabulous job my friend!! :)
    Big hug
    Georgie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks so much, my friend! You really made my day! Have a wonderful weekend!
      Huge hugs :) xxx

      Delete
  6. What a perfect guy piece with all the real and faux metal and glass. The corrugated cardboard and drywall tape give the background wonderful texture.
    Hugs!
    Cec

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you soooo much, Cec! I am glad you like this!
      Hugs :) xxx

      Delete
  7. What an amazing masculine project, your colours, design and attention to detail in this project is superb.
    Julie x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Julie for those kind words! xxx

      Delete
  8. Ohhhhhhh! How wonderful to get to see the process! I love what you did with the hole and image, plus your alcohol Inka! Wowzers! So glad to see a side view and the dimension. This is steampunk awesomesauce! Your use of black gesso makes me envious! So creative to use the straws as pipes! Loves it! Hugz to you muffin! ~Niki

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, hun! Sooooo happy you like this! Have a wonderful weekend, my lovely!
      Hugs :) xxx

      Delete
  9. Branka, this is gorgeous and so grungy and steampunky and masculine - I am sure your son will love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Susan for visiting my blog and leaving a sweet comment! xxx

      Delete
  10. Fantastic piece of steampunk! I love the grungy style and the way you recycled things and gave them this metallic effect. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks amazing! I'm in awe of this piece: so much detail and the straw pipes look fabulous. Thanks for sharing with us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful steampunk wall hanging! I'm sure your son loved it! I'm so happy you joined us for the Doodle Pantry AIMPDC! I hope you will join us again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an amazingly creative piece.So incredibly detailed and beautifully put together.Just love your recycling and how you created the metallic finish.Thanks for joining us at Craft Your Passion.Hope to see you again next week.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous-very detailed work...thanks for sharing with us CYP.
    Amy-GDT

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your project is really awesome !
    Thanks for sharing it with us and hope to see you again in our next challenge as well,
    Hugs
    Willeke
    DT Through The Craft Room Door

    ReplyDelete
  16. Stunning! Thank you for participating at CIO this week for Anything Goes Challenge. Lisa DT

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is absolutely spectacular! Stunning work and design! Thank you so much for playing along with the Make it Masculine Challenge over on the Simon Says Stamp Wednesday Challenge Blog!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW WOW WOW - those straws.... dear me - who would believe it if they just saw it on the wall without you there to tell them? And the cardboard background is perfect. And all the things you put together - so unusual like the tape package. The colors - the textures... Love the lightbulbs with wire.... just so much to see. WONDERFUL Branka. j.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome card! I love all the texture!
    Thanks so much for playing along with us at Doodle Pantry AIMPDC 6!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gosh it looks real ....great great work with texture and colors, I am stunned!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really cool. Love the steampunk feel to it. Thanks for entering it for our challenge at ASOI this time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Branka, that is brilliant, your son is going to love it! How inventive are you to use straws to make your steampunk pipes, wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing this wonderful creation.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have fallen in love with your pipework straws, brilliant idea. The whole project is so clever, it really looks industrial. Thank you for sharing it with us at Altered Eclectics.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Am also leaving a comment on behalf of Ellectic Ellapu - and it is still a gorgeous project! Branka, it would also be suitable for my own Challenge blog - Unstampabelles - if you feel like entering our June challenge called Mixed media Hero's!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Susan! I've just entered your wonderful June challenge!
      Have a great Sunday!
      Branka x

      Delete
  25. Fabulous steampunk design and effects - this is brilliant!
    Alison xx

    ReplyDelete
  26. Clever girl. Thanks for entering the Unstampabelles' challenge and good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  27. A great steampunk creation.....love it ....and I'm sure your son will too. Glad you shared it with us at Unstampabelles. Good luck and hope you join us again next month. Wynn DT

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow Wow Wow !! What a cool idea with tubes !!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a gorgeous project! I really like how you've honored your 3 special men as well. Thank you for joining us at UnstampaBelles this month!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great project! Love the rusty/industrial look of it! Such a creative idea to use the straws as pipes! It made me smile!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.